Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Austin Ironman 70.3

     In January I contemplated signing up for the Boulder 70.3 with Brook and Brenda, but thankfully it sold out while I was thinking on it. I did sign up for the Boulder Sprint Ironman but I couldn't stop that voice in my head saying "but what if we did the Half Ironman". Damn voices!

     So in April I registered for the Austin Ironman 70.3. Of course, then the voice changes to "what the hell were you thinking"and "you can't do that"! The voice in your head is a fickle wench. So when I registered for Austin, I did not read all the fine print.  I read Lake Decker 1.2 mile swim and 56 mile Bike ride through the rolling hills of Texas and the only run course than finishes in an indoor arena. Cool!

     What you need to know is that when I signed up, I could not swim the 25 meter pool without being out of breath clinging to the edge of the pool with my heart racing and gasping for air. I had not rode my bike over 25 miles. I was also newly recovered from a running injury to my right hip. So of course by November  8th, I will be ready to do 70.3. Lost my dang mind.

     So I go to Boulder for the Ironman Sprint, and this is what I learned: my wetsuit does not fit, I am not ready to do an open water swim of 10 feet let alone 1.2 miles with 2000 of my new best friends, I and my undercarriage do not like the bike, I got passed on the flats of the bike course by an overweight, short, bald, old guy, and there are hard cut-off times for each section of the 70.3. Crap!

     You have 1 hour and 10 minutes to complete the swim. If you go over that time, they take your timing chip and you get a DNF. You have 5 hours and 30 minutes to finish the bike course, if not, you guessed it, a DNF. You have a total of 8 hours and 30 minutes to finish the entire event or DNF. That is what I learned in Boulder in June, less than 5 months from my event. I can't swim, I suck at the bike and I have no legs to run on after I'm done with the bike. I am screwed.

     As soon as I get back to Oklahoma, I find a swim coach! Coach Janet has been doing triathlons since the 90's and was a competitive swimmer in school. Thank you Jesus! Day 1 she watches me swim and says no more swimming, just drills for body positioning. 3 weeks later I got to graduate to a very slow freestyle. 3 weeks after that I got to move to a little speed work on my freestyle. Then it was working on form, speed, and endurance. We did do 3 OWS in the wetsuit and worked on sighting.  What a blessing to have found her.

     Now I would like to tell you I did a lot of biking when I got back to Oklahoma but that would be a lie.  I was deep into marathon training because after all that was my "A" goal. I ran 4 days a week, swam 2-3 days a week and biked 2 times a week for a total of 2.5 hours a week on the bike. I will focus on the bike after Medtronic. Great plan. Ha!
O
     After Medtronic marathon I did start riding on Sunday's with TAT, which is Tulsa Area Triathlete and those guys, especially Scott, were so helpful and encouraging.  I rode once a week with Janet and once a week by myself. What you should know is Medtronic and Ironman were only 4 weeks apart. Plenty of time, Right? Now of course I continued running because well, I like running.

     2 weeks before Austin I did a ride with TAT for 38 miles with 1800 feet of elevation gain and followed that with a 1.5 hour run. Which helped my confidence. 12 days before Austin I banged out 2100 in the pool, so at least I know I can do the distance. 10 days before Austin I did a 45 mile ride, my longest one. Took the bike for a tune up and new tire. I got one more ride in after the tune up and before Austin.  Hopefully I am ready.

     On Friday the 6th I drove to my sisters house in Decatur, TX and stayed the night. On Saturday, I got up and went for a shakeout run, which helped the nerves some. Packed up and got on the road to Austin. About a 3.5 hour drive in a misty rain which gave me plenty of time to let the nerves go into overdrive. On the drive down I-35 every few miles on digital signs over the highway displays the following message and I quote "Turn around don't drown". It's a sign but is it a sign, an omen or prophecy, I don't know so I just keep going.

     I get to the expo, get my packet but miss the athlete briefing. So I ask a bajillion questions of the super nice guy at the information table. I browse the Ironman store offerings but buy nothing because what if I DNF. The tech shirt we get for participating is bright orange for girls and grey for guys, no matter how much I beg or plead they will not let me have the grey shirt. I hate orange. I'm a Sooner fan don't they get that, I guess not, the ********!

     Now there are 2 separate transition areas. How do I set up my towel for that? It is supposed to be cool tomorrow which equals to cold and wet for the first part of the bike. Do I take a long sleeve shirt for the bike, try to dry off, or just tough it out. I know Kia, 55 is bikini weather but to us warm climate girls it is cold! These are the questions that consume me as I pack my 3 bags for tomorrow's race day.
   
   After dinner, I do some shopping for breakfast food, bike snacks and last minute forgotten items then it is back to the hotel. I lay out everything for tomorrow and anything I don't need gets packed back to the car because I am checking out in the morning.  Time for bed at 8 pm. I toss. I turn. I go to the bathroom. Back to bed, I toss, I turn and I finally find sleep about 3 hours before the alarm goes off.

     0400 am wake up, get up, make coffee, bathroom, dresss, drink coffee and eat breakfast snack. Drink more coffee and double check the 3 gear bags for drop off. White is the morning bag for essentials before and after the event. Blue is the bike bag for T1 with helmet, gloves, socks, cycle shoes, long sleeve shirt, towel, sunscreen and shades. Red is the run bag for T2 with running shoes, visor and sport beans. Here I thought a drop bag for a marathon was too much.

     After I get to the Expo,  I drop the run bag off at T2 then board the shuttle to T1 to drop off bike bag and set up T1.  When it is time to shed the jacket and shoes and put on the wetsuit I will give morning/white bag to the truck people. Suppposedly when I finish the day all of my bags, bike and gear will be at the Expo Arena after I run across the finish line.

     My nerves are in overdrive now to the point I am nausous.  The announcer keeps giving us a count down to when transition will be closed. 30 minutes, 20 miniutes, 15 minutes, 10 minutes, and 5 minutes. I put on the wetsuit, tie up morning/white bag and give it to the truck people and make my way to the water.

      The water is choppy with waves from the 10-20 mph winds. I start walking into the water and it is warmer than the air temperature. I do some warm up laps and realize the water is really rough. Breath Michelle. Me and only 3 other people are warming up in the water which I thought was strange. Finally they call for the first wave to get in that water and chase everyone else out because there is not a separate area to warm up in. Oh Boy, it is cold on the shore.

       I find my wave of light blue caps and wait in line.  I talk to a few ladies who have done a lot of half and full Ironman's.  They are doctors and 1 is in Tulsa, such a small world.  Soon enough our group is in the water waiting for the start horn. I say a prayer and as I finish the horn blows and here we go.  I start out wide and left because the buoys are on our right. I'm trying to keep out of the trample zone. Soon I find myself right beside the buoy line with not to much traffic. I guess everybody decided to go wide left.
    
     The buoys are spaced a 100 meters apart. On the way out we are swimming against the waves on a diagonal.  I am sighting just to the next buoy. Pull, turn pull turn breathe, pull, turn pull turn breathe, sight and repeat. Now one guy is swimming fast fast fast till the buoy then he hangs on it for a few gasping for air then swims fast fast fast to the next buoy. I really don't care how Oh boy wants to swim his race but I do care that everytime he swims fast fast fast he runs into my side. About the third time and the third apology I have lost my patience. I may have or may not have called him an asshole and put some distance between us, thankfully I did not feel him beating my side again.  Now the Kayak people have whistled at a bunch of people and yelled at a bunch more "swimmer swimmer hey swimmer you are going the wrong way", everytime I look up and it is not me. Woot Woot sighting drills paid off!

     We make the first turn and the waves are coming across our sides but it is much easier than swimming into the waves.  Unfortunately this is the shortest leg of the swim course. Another turn takes us back towards the shore. The waves are kind of behind but on a slant so the waves are actually pushing us off course.  It is a constant struggle to stay near the buoy line.  The waves seem bigger and the water is rougher.  My shoulders are feeling the effects of the beating from the water.  I never swim hard enough to get out of breath but the arms and shoulders are tired and I am ready to get out of the water.  I can see the beach and people getting out of the water but the beach does not seem to be getting any closer. Finally my feet reach the ground and I try to run, hobble, waddle out of the water but I am having a lot of difficulty.  Thankfully some nice lady volunteers grab my hand and help me to shore because the sandy/muddy lake bottom is sucking my feet down and hindering my ability to walk. Swim Time 56:37.

      Out of the water, run up the hill while trying to unzip and pull down the neck of the wetsuit to my waist then I reach the strippers.  Got to love strippers.  Drop to by my butt on the muddy tarp they pull the suit off and give me a hand up and it is off to T1 dripping wet, freezing and mud on my trisuit so it looks like I crapped my pants. Lovely!

     In T1, find my bike, dry off as much as possible, pull on a long sleeve shirt, helmet, glasses, gloves and grab my cleats and bike. I have to carry the bike and cleats to the asphalt because T1 is a muddy mess. If I put on the cleats in Transition they will clog up with mud and I will not be able to clip in.  I carry my bike becasue there are stickers and people were getting flat tires.  So out on the asphalt a nice male spectator holds my bike while I struggle into socks and shoes with wet feet. T1 is a very fast transition time of 9:15!!!

      Out on the bike, I am cold, it is Windy, my legs are not complying with my commands. I am really doubting my want to for this 56 mile bike ride. Right out of T1 is the first climb, it is not a big climb just a gradual incline staight into the wind. Oh Yay! The first 20 miles is an ongoing debate with myself in general about: why am I doing this, why did I think this was a good idea, who does the dumb shit, & why didn't someone tell me back in April about those TX hills. Until mile 20 I was fairly certain I was just going to pull over and wait for the sag wagon. The constant hills and wind either in your face or coming from the side were just too much, I don't know why it could not be a tailwind. Then after some nuts, water, a Cliff bar and as Aspire drink, I realize I only have 36 miles left and I could do that. Funny how a runner's mind works even in a tri!

     As the miles spin by the route takes us by farmhouses, rural schools, farmlands, horses, cows, longhorns, over rolling hills, lush valleys, and through small towns.  We pass spectators cheering in the small towns with the local volunteer fire department controlling traffic. Families in front of their farmhouses watching us pass by and giving us encouragement.  The volunteers at the aid stations hand us water, Gatorade, cliff bars, gels and encouraging smiles. The policemen at intersections with stoic demeanors' keep us safe and tell us good job.  Thank the volunteers and tell them they are awesome because they help us do what we do. If you get an opportunity volunteer at a race any race and give back.

     Triathlon's are different than marathons because everyone is unplugged.  Electronics outside of your sports watch, cadence, power meter or bike computer are not allowed. No cell phones, mp3 players, iPod or ear buds allowed as a result, people talk to one another.  I know right, a foreign concept.  We comment on the ride, the route, the hills, the wind, a cool trisuit, a sweet bike or even my pink tires. Yes we are competing in a race against each other but right now we are on a lone section of road on a long ride and placing will be figured out at the finish line.  It is going to be a long day and really, isn't that the goal, to strive for a better version of ourselves.

     Before long the watch says 5 miles to go before T2.  I am ready to get off the bike. Surely the last 5 miles of this route will be easier that the last 51.  Ha Ha! It is 5 miles of long gradual inclines back to the expo. Long gradual incline, turn right, more long gradual climb, turn left to a steep hill and turn right, hill, turn right, hill into T2 and don't forget all that wind.  Well played Texas well played. Bike Time 4:06:44.

     Off at the mount line to run/hobble while pushing the bike to my transition area.  I find my bag, park the bike, trade out cleats for shoes, helmet for visor, leave the gloves and put on the race bib belt.  Swallow some water and have some sport beans. Use the Porta-facility and run out of T2 in a blazing time of 6:57.

     Now the Swim was a 1.2 mile 1 loop course, the bike was a 56 mile loop but the run is a 4 mile loop repeated 3 times. Really? My favorite part of this event, the run, is a loop on repeat have I mentioned I don't care for loops or out and backs. That just sucks! So out of transition it starts with a real subtle incline, turn right for a subtle downhill, turn left onto the county road for a steep downhill, then the lull of a short valley, to a steep uphill that flattens and then gradually climbs across sand, dirt, mud, grass, to broken asphalt by the lake to the turn back the way we came. So we can repeat it again and again.  Each time you get back to the T1 area you have to pass by the right turn to the finish shoot and keep left to go for loop 2 and loop 3.

     It is hot and now there is no breeze or wind to be found.  My right side hurts and my right piriformis is getting tight.  I run until my side starts to hurt really bad and then I walk until it eases up. My right leg doesn't care for this method it seems to prefer just running but my right foot just wants to sit the hell down and take a load off.  My side hurts and I don't know if it is just a side stitch or if I need to use the facilities.  Everyone is using a run/walk method. So much for rocking this portion!

     Evidently triathletes are different in their course aid offerings.  The choices are: water, Gatorade endurance formula, Red Bull, Coke, pretzels, chips, granola, and gels. I tried a coke, it was hot and terrible. After that I stuck to water and an occasional watered down Gatorade with a couple of pretzels.

     On loop one, I pass by a guy walking on a blade prosthesis, his entire right leg up to the femoral head is amputated. Now I feel like an ass for indulging in my pity party of one.  Remember Michelle, we are blessed to be able!  So I try to suck it up and finish the best I can for that day.  On loop 2, I pass a guy bent over on the side of the trail. I ask if he is ok and he says he is and he looks ok, just tired, so I continue on. Later on the beginning of loop 3, a man passes me and he is running badly, his breathing is worse and he looks terrible. If he was in my hospital I would call a code. Unfortunately I did not see him again, hopefully, that was his last loop and he finished. I have my doubts.

     Back in T2 while parking the bike, a woman was asking me if we met the cutoff time and I told her yes, because if we had not, they would have taken our timing chip.  Now out on the run course, we have been taking turns passing each other in our run/walk madness. As we make our way back to the arena on our last loop, she asks me if we will make the cutoff.  I tell her yes, it will be close but yes, I will make that cutoff.  She tells me that is all she wants is to make the cutoff and receive a time.  You have to admire that. She didn't say a finisher's medal or a t-shirt or a hat but she wanted a finish time.  I thought that we were in the same age group but as I passed her the last time I realized she was in a different age group that had started in the water before me, which means she is even closer to the 8.5 hour cutoff time.  She crossed the line behind me hopefully she received her finish time unfortunately, I do not know for certain.
    
     Finally, I am back at the arena, and I get to take the right turn in to the finisher shoot. It circles the long side of the arena and then turns into a straight away inside and across the arena to cross the finish line. I pick up the pace as I make that right turn, I pick it up again as I get to the straight and pass 2 walkers, as I glance ahead and see the finish line I kick it across with my arms up and wide!!! I stumble to a stop and tell the medics that I am ok.  I walk forward some more and they put a medal around my neck.  I walk forward some more and they give me a 70.3 hat and remove my timing chip. I made it! I Finished under the cutoff time! I got my Official time of 8:21:33

Live Epic!
Michelle
    
    

     
    
     
   

No comments:

Post a Comment