Monday, November 30, 2015

Route 66 Autopilot

          So the 70.3 Ironman in Austin was on November 8th and it was hard, it was long, but crossing that finish line under the cutoff was AWESOME!  So after Austin I had some muscle soreness for maybe a day but I was really fatigued. 

     I would do most of my training runs, I think I skipped 2 runs in  2 weeks, and strength train but that was it. No biking and no swimming. No matter how much sleep I got, I was still tired, I had no energy and my temper was volatile. 

     Now the Route 66 Half was 2 weeks after Austin. My trainer would ask what my goal was for the 66 and all I can say was; I don't know, but in my head was I thinking to just get it over with because I'm ready to be done. I am tired, really tired to my cells tired. I finally decide I am just going to run by feel and not look at the watch for heart rate, distance, pace or elapsed time. My goal is to finish the race and hopefully find my mojo or love of running/racing back. 

     The only saving grace for the Route to keep me from dreading it was the chance to meet Abbie and Gina from the Inner Circle group, to reconnect with my friends Michelle & Heather that I met at my first Half in OKC and a chance to cheer on some first time marathoners & experienced runners from Life Time Run.

     On the Saturday the 21st, I get up and do a shakeout run of 25 minutes easy with 3 pickups. It feels harder than I think it should and my right foot hurts afterward, Great! So I clean up, have some breakfast and go to the race expo to meet Abbie & Gina. 

     Abbie is already in the packet pickup line, so I find the back of the line and patiently wait. The line moves quickly which is good but the line is getting longer. Abbie gets her packet and goes to the jacket pickup. As I am getting my bib, Gina is getting in line to get her packet. Finally we all get our packets, jackets and can talk together.

     We talk for a while as we wander the expo booths and look at running gear. We talk races, training runs, goals for the race and the upcoming holiday. Of course we take the obligatory picture at the Expo and then say goodbye to Abbie. Abbie has family pics to have made and a family dinner.

     Gina and I go to a restaurant for a late lunch/early dinner. We chat some more over dinner, wine & coffee. Gina and Abbie are great and I am so happy I got to meet with them!

     At the expo I had picked up my friend Heather's race packet, so now I am going to meet the Heather's. I met both of them at OKC last year, this year Heather L is doing the half but Heather D is doing her first Full! I visit with them for a bit and we make plans to meet in the morning.

     At the house, I lay out my flat runner, have some dinner, hot bath and bed at 8 pm.  I did not sleep well because my foot is still hurting, so finally I take some Motrin and get some rest.

     I get up at 5:30 am, let the dog out; brew the coffee, bathroom, dog in, breakfast, more coffee, and get dressed.  As I am getting ready, I contemplate not racing. My foot still hurts, I am still tired and I just feel blah, but I go because well I said I would and I'm not getting a DNS.  The starting line is just over a mile from the house, which is just a short warm up.

     I find the Heather's for a pre-race pic that we dedicate to Mona, our other OKC friend who is unable to run today. Check my drop bag and find my way to corral B.  Unfortunately I was not able to find Gina and Abbie before the race.

     In my corral, I see some of my Life Time Run peeps; Rana and Gary. We talk and move about to keep warm, it is a balmy 27 degrees, as we wait for the race start.  Usually I am nervous/excited before a race start but not today. I am not envisioning a perfectly run race or PR's or anything for that matter.  Just waiting to start moving forward so my corral can start.

     Finally the confetti cannon goes off... and we walk forward, and we walk forward some more and finally we cross the start line in a slow trot because of the sea of runners congesting the roadways.

     The first mile is a downhill, then a left turn, then a bigger downhill but of course what goes down must go up.  I pass by a male peeing behind a column for the overpass. Really!

      I find my pace that seems comfortable for the beginning of the race.  I watch other runners as the go by because they are going out to fast. They are not saving anything for the hills that are up ahead.  I think about the course, trying to see if I remember the turns from last year. We pass through the first water station and I run on by. 2 miles done only 11 more to go.

     We enter the neighborhoods that I do my training runs in all the time.  I nod to the spectators and thank the policemen that are guarding us from the traffic. I am running easy, I don't think I am running any harder than I do on a training run but I am not looking at my watch.

     As I come out of the hills and onto Peoria I think about Gina and Abbie, what do they think of T-town and the Route 66. It is a flat section of the course with lots of spectators and loud music.  It gives me a lift and my pace probably picked up at that point because crowds and music always helps.  From there it is over to Riverside for a bit, not as long as last year because of the construction.  Then back into the hills of the neighborhoods.

     At mile 9 at the water station I walk through and drink some water. I pick up the run as soon as I finish the water and I start thinking maybe I should pick up the pace and then my foot tells me it hurts still, so I just maintain.

     Back on to Riverside for an out and back, then up the a highway ramp as we start making our way  back across downtown Tulsa. Pass the Cox business center then over to Boulder Avenue to 6th street which is where the marathoner's split off from the Half's.  I am so happy at this point that I did not sign up for the Full.  All I can think is poor runner's!

     Down under the overpass then back up, right turn, then left turn, then right turn and I can see the Finish line, it is way up there but I can see it.  Of course I start picking up the pace and picking off runner's one at a time. I hear my name and there is Nate and Cecilia cheering for me. I pick it up again, and again and again and get out of my way Half fanatic people right before the finish line walking hand in hand.  I will spare you the curse words I was thinking as I try to get around them to cross the Finish Line!

      Woohoo 2:29:13. Not a PR but for running the entire race easy and on autopilot it will work.  For completing a race successfully with no GI issues, Hallelujah! 

      After I get through the finisher's shoot with some snacks, I make my way over to where I seen Nate and Cecilia.  I put on some warm clothes over my run clothes and precede to cheer in the runner's all of them. 

      I cheer in the female winner of the marathon, along with the second and third. I cheer on my friend Michelle. She joins me and we cheer on the 4 hour Half marathon runner's along with the marathoner's.  I see Nicole, Gary, Patrick, Gina, Abbie, Nikki, and the other Heather.  I run with Heather around the corner and a bit up the straight until she sees the finish line.  I miss a few come through as we go to find Heather at the finish shoot.  The Heather's have to check out of their hotel.

      We take some pics and say our goodbyes and I start my walk back to the house.  I ponder the race day and my performance and I am okay with it.  It was my 2nd best half, by finish time but my most consistent pace. I do believe that cheering everyone in was probably the best part of the day!

Live Epic!
Michelle

     



    
     

No comments:

Post a Comment