Thursday, November 12, 2015

Twin Cities Medtronic Marathon Madness

     In December of 2014, I met with Nate to plan goals for 2015, we decided on: an "A" goal for spring was a sub 2:20 half, an "A" goal for Fall was a sub 5:00 marathon and a "B" goal was to complete a 70.3 Ironman. Ah the dreams and plans we make must amuse our maker.
     In February, I injured my hip the first week of Half training. So I did not get to train at all. I ran the Half at the Kentucky Derby with some Sole sisters; Trena, Haewon, Magda, Jackie, Araminta, Beth & her family. I was able to complete the Half it wasn't a PR by no means. Without training, still recovering from injury and some GI upset I took my 2:41 time and was disappointed but happy I was able to run.
     I signed up for Twin Cities in March while I was in Denver for work after having a Sole sister dinner with Brook, Malene & Mandi. Funny how races get signed up for after talks/meetings with Brook. I looked over the course profile, I read the reviews and I checked into the weather averages for October. I mean I am from a warm climate I did not want to run a marathon in a blizzard. I registered that night and texted the run coach Nate, "Here we go!"
     I ran by time and heart rate. I did not run a 16 miler, or a 18 miler & not a 20 miler. I ran 40 minutes, 60 minutes, 90 minutes and a max of 190 minutes all the while keeping my heart rate under 135. Which is hard when it is 100 degrees or more during summer training in Oklahoma. I ran 400's, 200's, hill repeats, threshold & tempo runs. I lifted, swam and biked. I dropped some weight and worked on my nutrition. As the training days were checked off the calendar my anticipation, nerves, anxiety and excitement grew.
     October 2nd arrived and I flew to Minnesota for the big Sole sister meet up. On Friday night when I got to the house, Brook, LeAnn, Trena and Joyce were already there. As the night progressed and into the next day more sisters and some husbands arrived.
     On Saturday we all went to cheer for some sisters running the 10K, then to packet pickup, and later to the running store to get Melani (no pants) Pratt some running pants and Trena some pot pants. Before dinner we had Brook' s Sole Sister special session, sorry no details can be given because it is classified! Dinner was grilled burgers and chicken with the fixings and good company. Soon everyone was saying goodnight. Race day would come early, so off to bed to either toss and turn or dream of PR's.
     The alarm went off at 0445. Bathroom, dress, coffee, breakfast of banana, protein/UCAN shake and boiled eggs. Bathroom again and last minute check of race necessities. Load up in the car to go to downtown Minneapolis to catch the school buses to the start line. We give our drop bags to the helpful UPS people and walk our way to the corrals. It is a brisk cool morning at 40 degrees with a slight breeze. We find port-a-potty city and make use of them. Mosey back to the corral for the hour wait till the start of the race. I had good company with Kesha, Tammy, Erin, and Magda. We took pics, talked and just passed the time trying to stay warm.
      The National Anthem plays and corral A takes off. Then corral B goes. Then finally corral C. Go time! I have lined up around the 5 pace group. I know to make my goal I need to average a 11:27 pace. The plan is to go easy the first 20-22 miles and if I feel "Good" then to go for it the last 4-6 miles. Stay around the pace group but if it feels too difficult then back off to what feels more comfortable for 5 hours.
     The 5 pace group is doing some weird run for 14 minutes then walk for 1 minute. I keep them in sight but don't run with them. I slow myself down at least 3 times because I don't want to burn out before the end. I hate finishing weak.
     The first 2 miles are all about finding a good pace. The next 3 miles are about settling into the run. The sides of the streets are lined shoulder to shoulder with spectators. Some guy near me, is named Fred, evidently it is real fun to cheer for Fred. I'm tired of hearing Go Fred! The course starts out by the Vikings new stadium that is being built and winds through downtown Minneapolis, into the residential areas along trails by 6 lakes over 1 river then past St Pauls's Catheldral and ends in front of the State Capital building of St Paul . The course is beautiful and I can not remember 1 section of it that didn't have spectators, kids, bands or someone cheering you on! 20,000 runners and 300,000 spectators it was just one huge block party 2 cities wide.
     The next 5 miles is spent admiring the scenery, reading the spectator signs and high 5'ing little kids. 1 sign said  "go harder" the next sign said "that's what she said!" Ha! Good one!  I have an older man running near me from Canada who is more than a little annoying with his constant corny quips to spectators. I'm averaging 11:24's and I feel good. I'm breathing good, my heart rate is good, I'm working but not too hard.
      At mile 11-12 I feel like I need to go to the port-a-potty. Just before mile 13, I get in line for the potty, use the facilities check my watch which says my average pace is now 11:40's. I'm not worried I can make that up easily. It is all good.
     At mile 15 I'm fairly sure I'm not going to make it to the potty in time. My stomach hurts. I do make it. I say a prayer that my GI issue is over. I check the watch I'm still at average of 11:50 pace and I still think I can get back down to 11:27's.
     Mile 18 I have to go again. I have not taken any nutrition in since before mile 15 because it makes the GI issue worse. I am praying for the distress to resolve and to be able to finish the race at least better than my first marathon. I know sub 5 is not possible now without a hair on fire pace to the finish and I don't have that in me.  The distress is taking its toll, my energy level is low and I don't feel right.
     Mile 21 is another potty stop. I am really feeling bad. I not only have the GI issue but now at mile 22 I am having some strange issue with my female parts while trying to run.  I had started my period the day before but I have never had this problem before. Within a few seconds of running a tingling/prickly sensation radiates up my core and make me feel woosy or almost like vertigo.  I am seriously thinking about going to a med tent and calling it.  I feel terrible.
    Miles 22-24 are a run/walk method just trying to get to the finish. Mile 25 I manage to pick it up some to at least a sub 13 pace. Mile 26 is back to 13 plus pace. My right piriformis is on fire tight. Up ahead I see St. Paul Cathedral and know it is downhill to the finish after the Cathedral.  As soon as I pass the Cathedral, I start running. I start descending down the hill to the finish. I hear my name being called and I glance to the sidelines and see all my Sole Sisters cheering their heads off for me.  All I can do is shake my head and pickup the pace.  I am running full out just trying to get to the finish line before I fall down.
     At the finish, as I slow to a stop to get the medal my legs kind of give out. I don't fall because medical girl grabs my arm and asks if I need help.  I refuse and say I'm ok.  She lets me go. I see Erin and congratulate her, its her first marathon, so proud of her.  I get my shirt, water and salty chips.
    I leave the Finish shoot and see Araminta, Trena and Brook. Here comes the tears.  They congratulate me until they see how upset I am.  Then it turns to comforting words. I tell them about the GI problems and Brook says "thank goodness because if it was because you were not trained enough I was going to kick your trainers a**". I tell the truth that I felt great and was on target until mile 13. I have to go again before we can make it to the vehicles for the 30 minute drive to the house.
     At the house it is more bathroom time, a shower, more bathroom and then I finally make it downstairs for water.  Everyone is encouraging me to eat but my whole system rebels at the thought of food.  I grab a blanket and curl up on a couch and listen to everyones race day stories. 
     After a few hours I manage to nibble on some meat, cheese and crackers.  Trena works on my piriformis and tries to loosen it up.  After more stories of todays race or other races, people start mumbling about getting to bed.  I am thankful to call it a night.
      The next day is packing and getting to the airport.  My GI system is still not happy but it is better. The right piriformis is terrible and now the quads are screaming their displeasure.  It is going to be a long day of traveling.
      I was down to my soul hurt over this race. I had such big goals for this race. I had a "B" and a "C" goal set for this race but I was focused on sub 5. I cried for 2 weeks, I wouldn't talk about it and I would not even think about writing this recap. Now I know I should be happy that even with all the potty stops I was just seconds slower than my first marathon time. That should tell me that the training was effective and if not for the GI issue I would have had a PR if not a sub 5, I would have at least had a PR. My mind knows this but my overachiever, pride filled ego is having a hard time accepting it. 
     I would never say the things I think about myself in failing to meet my goal to another runner who had this race experience.  If I was talking to someone else who had this experience, I would say shake it off, you ran the best race you could under the circumstances given to you. So why do we beat ourselves up? I don't know for everyone else, but for me, I always expect more and better of myself. I don't give myself grace or a pardon.
      The first day back home, I was already googling marathons because I wanted revenge or redemption.  I was texting the trainers wanting to know how soon I could race again because I want my sub 5. I looked at one 3 weeks away but even I knew in my craziness that was too soon.  I talked with Nate and Matt and decided on a January marathon.
     Now with a months perspective, I am taking the good out of that race and finding what I can learn to better my experiences in the future. I will run another marathon in the New Year and I will go for a PR. Sub 5 would be awesome but I will take sub 5:30 because it is forward progress.  I will try to be happy with my results and know I am blessed because I am able.

Live Epic!
Michelle
    
     

    

No comments:

Post a Comment